Thursday, November 22, 2018

the river


by wiggly jones, "the little hippie boy"





i dreamed i saw walt whitman
alive as you or me
i was walking down a dusty road
he sat beneath a tree

i pointed to the sky above
the tree neath which he sat
and said, tell me o whitehaired sage
what do you make of that?

i sit beneath this tree, he said
because it blots the sky
i would fain sit here forever
or at least until i die

how negative is this, i cried
quite property aghast
come, let us fly the flag of hope
and tie it to our mast

the road turned to a river
and i found myself afloat
with li po and joyce kilmer
in a leaky little boat

the clouds were white, the sky was blue
the ocean loomed ahead
i could have flown to heaven
but wanted a drink instead

my mother’s name was adelaide
my father’s name was fred
my sister’s name was susie
and my dog was old red

we lived beside a mountain
in a little hut of wood
please pass me that bottle
if you would be so good

everybody has a story
everybody has a tale
everybody gets a letter
from the government in the mail

i left my mountain cabin
and wandered through the hills
high above the city
with its flickering lights and thrills

i ran from civilization
and its roaring metal teeth
and watched it burn and crumble
but it gave me no relief

i came down to the valley
and walked the empty roads
robots stumbled past me
but i could not punch their codes

they said the war was over
and peace was now at hand
but i saw a different message
in the fog and burning sand

i saw no happy gardens
i saw no bubbling brooks
i saw vultures in the sky above
giving me close looks

i saw omar khayyam in paris
with a straw hat on his head
i asked for words of wisdom
and he told me, roses are red

i saw rimbaud in samarkand
and verlaine in timbuktu
i asked for words of wisdom
and they said, violets are blue

i saw wiliam blake on broadway
with a tin cup full of wine
he threw his arms around me
and we sang sweet adeline

i roamed the whole world over
looking for jesse james
i found him in the bank of london
but he did not know my name

i wrote a sonnet to abraham lincoln
and a letter to the pope
i met ambrose bierce on clark steeet
and he said, do not lose hope

i was captured by nebuchadnezzar
a pyramid to build
we were marched past cleopatra
down by the old mill

moses threw me a nickel
and joshua a lousy dime
the movie started at six o’clock
but i was not there on time

the show went on without me
because all things must pass
the river to the ocean
and the whiskey to the glass




No comments:

Post a Comment