Monday, January 30, 2017

briefcase


by chuck leary




it was dark

i was lost

i was despised

and i had lost my briefcase

when my brother and his stuckup friends showed up i left the hotel room

and went down to the news stand to find the latest best seller

but they didn’t have it in stock

i bought a pack of gum instead

when i left the news stand most of the lights in the city had gone out

there were a few lights n the distance

but i did not think they were the hotel’s

i started walking

i realized i did not have my briefcase

did i leave it at the news stand?

did i leave it at the hotel?

i got loster and loster

i thought of how awful my whole life had been

and how everybody laughed at me and despised me

and barely tolerated my existence

and what a failure i was

it got darker and darker

finally i ended up at a police station

i was told to take a seat on a bench against the wall

when i tried to ask sone questions

the young woman at the desk told me in no uncertain terms to be quiet

finally she summoned me over

tapping on her keyboard she asked wearily

all right, what exactly was in this wonderful briefcase?



No comments:

Post a Comment