Sunday, March 3, 2024

zero plus nothing equals - 3 . treasure


by jeremy witherington

part three of 31

for previous episode, click here

to begin at the beginning, click here


>

albert albertson woke up.

he got up.

they think everything is a joke, he mused.

and yet i am still here.

i wonder why.

the quality of my life has been mediocre from the start.

and yet i began with every advantage.

i was invited by fate to conquer the world.

my name is albert, but my friends call me buddy.

there are many versions of my life available.

here is one that i remember.

my parents were deep sea divers who spent their lives seeking lost treasure.

i grew up expecting a miraculous twist of fate to transform our lives at any moment.

but i really understood nothing.

i see i am boring you - i will try to get to the point and tell a good story.

roger jones was my best friend.

sam brown was my worst enemy.

imagine my surprise and chagrin when they teamed up against me and deprived me of what was rightfully mine.

just when i thought i had it made.

my parents had died when their little boat was sunk off the coast of madagascar in a sudden storm when they were searching for the treasure of captain lloyd, one of the more obscure pirates of the golden age of piracy.

at the time i was enrolled at a jesuit school in the south of france.

when mr tompkins, the lawyer, visited the school to inform me of my parents’ passing, he brought me a box of old maps, which was my only inheritance.

the maps were faded with age, and many were barely intelligible.

roger was my best pal at the school, and he had all the money in the world.

i showed him the maps.

roger kindly offered to continuing paying for me to finish the school year.

but when the year was over we would set out to find some treasure.

he would pay all the expenses, and we would split the earnings fifty-fifty.


next



No comments:

Post a Comment